Career strategies are strategies used by individuals to reach their career or organizational goals that they might have. These strategies can influence the individual’s behavior, activities, motivation, experiences that will lead job seekers to a job opportunity, help employed employees develop their skills and abilities, help them go up the company ladder through promotions, and so on. It has been repeatedly shown that career strategies that incorporate work experiences and the development of skills improve the chances of attaining career success.
The effectiveness of a particular career strategy will depend on the factors of the job such as the nature of the job, the industry the job belongs to, the type of company the job belongs to, and so on. The strategy that is chosen by an individual demands a conscious level of commitment and investment on their behalf to reach the goals that they set or the company they work for sets for them. The career planning strategy that is chosen by an individual is based on the expectations of it helping them reach their professional and personal goals.
What are the different types of career strategies that an individual can adopt?
Improving the level of competence that an employee has at their job is the most basic strategy to have. Companies need and want employees who are at the bare minimum competent at what they are supposed to do. They value employees who have developed and maintained skills that can be transferable to the various different job opportunities available in the company. A strategy focused on developing the abilities of an individual in their current jobs will set them up for success in terms of promotions or acquiring a better job. Activities that help with skill development include participation in training seminars, leadership development seminars, and university programs.
Another career strategy that will further an individual’s career is to put in the hard yards and work extra hours in their field. This is usually done in the early stages of an individual’s career as they can develop and hone skills that will benefit them in the present as well as the future. This can also act as a way for an employee to signal to their higher-ups or their bosses that they are willing to put in the work and indicate they are ready for more responsibilities. The employees can acquire and develop skills by putting in the hard work and volunteering for more work.
Another form of career planning strategy is networking where the individual builds a network of connections from people within their field or industry. These contacts can be put to good use as they can put in a good word when an individual is trying to get a job. Networking is great as individuals can help each other in their various activities and jobs. Individuals can also have a mentor where the mentor can coach, sponsor, and be a role model. All of this leads to a mutually beneficial relationship.
By building and sustaining an individual can display an appearance of success and sustainability. There have been studies that show that investment in image building leads to higher career advancement. This career strategy is not the most important for an individual to reach their career goal but a good image can be an indicator for future performance. It increases their level of employability while seeking job opportunities.
Why is a career planning strategy important for companies?
There are many different benefits to a company or organization when their employees have had a clear career strategy. The strategies used by the employees will not only help the company achieve their goals but at the same time it provides numerous benefits to the company such as:
- It allows the company to differentiate itself from its competitors to its own employees and future potential employees. It improves the company image while at the same time lowering the risk that their employees will move to a different company as they are investing in their employees to stay with the company. Job opportunities that need to be filled within a company, can be filled by already existing employees.
- The money invested in helping their employee’s career plan will help the company retain their employees as it creates a loyal bond between employees and the company. Providing a path to help employees to strategize their career path through coaching or mentoring enables the company to retain workers.
- Every company and organization of all types and sizes values younger workers and therefore tries to hire younger employees.
- These younger employees will also be interested in career strategies and companies can rely on them to stay with the company for far longer than older employees while improving their skills with experience.
- Due to strategy planning helping employees develop their skills through the help of companies, companies will not face a shortage of skilled workers. Skilled and highly experienced are extremely valuable to companies and through strategic career planning, these companies will not have to fear a shortage of attracting and retaining these workers.
The benefits provided to employees through career strategies
An employee will be faced with choices to make, opportunities to get ahead, and setbacks that are inevitable during the course of their career. A career planning strategy provides a significant amount of benefits to employees:
- A proper strategy will not only help the employee career-wise but also helps the employee an opportunity to introspect and understand themselves. They can understand why they choose that job or why they chose a particular company to work for in the first place. It can either reaffirm the employee’s current situation and motivate them to climb higher through that particular road or help them choose an alternative.
- The strategy helps them to plan ahead and confirm whether their current career path matches their aspirations and wants. If it doesn’t match, the employee has a chance to change their strategy. They can employ specific, attainable, measurable, relevant, and time-based goals to match their aspirations to their current path.
A career strategy is absolutely vital for an employee to manage their skills, knowledge, and direction of their career. A career strategy is not a strict set of rules but rather a way to focus an employee’s energy towards obtaining their career objectives. Apply for jobs in Corinth MS.